Get food handler training and a food manager certificate

To get a City of Austin mobile food vendor permit, food managers must register their certificates with Austin Public Health’s Environmental Health Services Division. All mobile food unit employees must complete food handler training.

This service is a part of:
This service is a part of:
  1. Make sure all employees working in the mobile food unit complete a state-approved food handler training course.

    All employees must have documentation that they completed a state-approved food handler training course in a classroomopen_in_new or onlineopen_in_new within the last two years, except for the unit's food manager, who must pass a food manager exam.

  2. Make sure one employee per mobile food unit passes the food manager exam.

    There must be a worker with a registered food manager certificate at the mobile vending unit during all hours of operation. Food managers must pass a certified exam from an ANSI-CFP Accreditation Program (Accredited)open_in_new. One employee per unrestricted mobile food vending unit must complete the City of Austin food manager certificate and always keep it in the mobile unit.

  3. Gather your documents and registration fee.

    You need the following documents in order to register your food manager certificate online or in person:

    • A government-issued photo ID, such as a Texas driver license, passport, or Texas ID card.
    • A food manager certificate from an exam approved by the Texas Department of State Health servicesopen_in_new, not a prep course.
    • Payment of $31 in cash (except by mail), check, money order, Visa, MasterCard, Discover, or American Express. Make checks and money orders payable to: Austin Public Health. Debit cards are not accepted. Credit cards are not accepted for Travis County payments.

  4. Apply to register your certificate.

  5. Display the card.

    Registration cards will be mailed to the address provided 5 to 10 business days after payment is processed. Once the certificate is received and registered with the City, the food manager must display it so customers easily see it.

  6. Replace a lost food manager certificate registration.

    If you lose your certificate registration, fill out the application in Englishopen_in_new or Spanishopen_in_new, pay $16 for a replacement copy, and provide a copy of your current government-issued photo ID.

  7. Review laws and policies.


Did you find what you were looking for on this page?