The City’s Data Portal is your open government resource. It consists of datasets approved by a City department presented in a user-friendly format. Many of Austin’s residents are innovative tech savvy data consumers. However, the Data Portal is intended for all residents. Its many datasets utilize simple yet effective tools to find the data you want. For example, you can:
- Search by keyword
- Browse by categories and topics
- Sort and filter data
- Create charts (area, Bar, column, donut, line, pie, timeline, tree map, and heat map)
- Export data
- Make comments
- Create interactive maps from location data or GIS files, like Esri shapefiles, KML/KMZ files, using either Google Maps, Bing Maps, or ESRI.
- Download data in CSV, JSON, PDF, RDF, RSS, XLS, XLSX, or XML format
There are several video tutorials to help you interact with this data site.
Developers will be able to find tools and policies at http://dev.socrata.com/.
Frequently Asked Questions
Am I able to find service request types in the dataset?
- Yes. Each City Department will approve the service request types that are uploaded into the Data Portal. All public service requests will be visible, except for service requests containing information protected by the Texas Public Information Act.
Can I find more detailed service request information? If so, how do I request it?
- Yes. Per the Freedom of Information Act, you are welcome to request more specific information regarding specific service requests. Request more information on an open records request.
Will my personal information be included in the uploaded data?
- Austin 3-1-1 does not share any specific name, phone or email information from the service requests in the data being made available on the City of Austin Data Portal.
How do I download a dataset from the Data Portal?
- From the dataset, click on the Export button on the right side of the page. It is located just below the “Find in the Dataset” search field. Next click on the format type in which you would like to download the dataset.
How do I report technical issues or feedback regarding Austin 3-1-1’s dataset?
How often is Austin 3-1-1’s dataset updated?
- The dataset is updated several times a day with new service requests and updates to current service requests.
What time span is included in the data?
- The data for all service requests are shown from January 3, 2014 going forward. For any new request types made available after January 3, 2014 the data will reflect the starting date for that request type.
Where is the Code Compliance service request?
- As of November 2014 the Code Compliance service request was renamed Austin Code – Request Code Officer to better reflect the service requested by citizens.