What is crypto?
Cryptosporidiosis, known as “crypto” for short, is a contagious disease that causes diarrhea. The microscopic parasite that causes crypto often spreads through contaminated water.
Crypto in Austin
In Austin, cases of crypto increase during the summer. Crypto can spread through recreational water use in pools, hot tubs, water parks, and natural swimming holes like Barton Springs.
How to prevent crypto
Good hygiene is the best way to prevent crypto. Crypto is persistent! Even boiling water, chlorinating swimming pools, and using alcohol-based sanitizers won’t kill it. To prevent the spread of crypto:
- Wash your hands regularly with soap and water.
- Avoid alcohol-based hand gels and sanitizers.
- Don’t swallow water while swimming.
- Avoid food that might be contaminated.
- Disinfect all surfaces and objects that people who have crypto may have used.
- If you have crypto, don’t swim in recreational water while infected and for at least 2 weeks after diarrhea stops.